Tuesday, May 21, 2024

The Basics of Being Anxious (and a long-overdue update)

For one reason or another, maybe because it's been too long since I wrote in here...I feel compelled to put work aside for a brief minute or two and update y'all on what's been going on in what I now refer to as #anxietyworld...maybe this will catch on with the masses!

Last time I wrote...well, I can't recall the date. But it's been too long, as I said before. But I can say with confidence that I am somehow better now than the last time I wrote. On some days, it may not feel like this. But on most days, even those bad ones, I know that each day it's a little better. When I broke down in 2014, I was a floor heap, barely able to engage in at-home therapy sessions and scared to move. Scared to leave my apartment. Scared of everything. I grew fearful of things over the course of a year or two due to my not acknowledging so many things in my life that bothered me deeply. My life didn't feel authentic. Everything looked amazing from the outside, I'll bet. In the early stages of what I now recognize as my worst nervous breakdown ever, I had quite a few folks (mainly former coworkers) say things to me like, "Well, you definitely could have fooled me," or "I would have never guessed that you suffer from GAD."

Something good to know if you ever meet someone who deals with anxiety/depression/panic

No comments:

Post a Comment